Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Final: Legal Authority

For my final project, I decided to contact Christopher Curtis. He is a lawyer that specializes in Retail, Gaming, & Premises which was a perfect fit for me because I specialize in Fashion and Retail management. I called the number given online and spoke to one of his secretaries. "Collaboration agreement, when coauthors want to specify their rights, obligations, and percentage of copyright ownership and revenues, they must enter into a collaboration agreement. Without a collaboration agreement , a court will presume that the coauthors share equally unless evidence to the contrary is introduced." 

I introduced myself as a professional in the Fashion Industry trying to find a lawyer for my upcoming business. Since I have given that title, they did not reject me but when I had told her that I would like to speak to Mr. Curtis directly to ask him questions, she told me that maybe she could help. I was persistent on talking to the lawyer himself but she insisted on writing down my questions and getting back to me. After a week of patiently waiting, I realized I wasn't going to hear from her so I moved on to looking for other lawyers. “Intellectual property law consists of several separate and overlapping legal disciplines, each with its own characteristics and terminology.”

The funny thing is, I was driving with a friend two days after I have already contacted other lawyers and I came across a building with Christopher Curtis' name outside. I then got intrigued and stopped in. I told the secretary I had called in before and asked to speak to him but he had never gotten back to me and all of a sudden a deep voice behind me said "I apologize miss, are you free to speak now?" I never even noticed he was just right behind us. I got extremely lucky. He then gave me a couple minutes of his time and answered my questions. Although he was short with me, he was a very nice man. “Two or more people who have contributed significant creative input to a work of expression.”

No comments:

Post a Comment